These oatmeal applesauce cookies are soft, gooey, and free of dairy, egg, wheat, soy, peanuts, and tree nuts! Make a double batch and freeze some for later! Jump to Recipe
When I was a kid, I loved coming home from school, walking in the door and smelling freshly baked cookies. My kids love this, too! These oatmeal applesauce cookies are one of their favorites.
Inspired by a classic
My favorite oatmeal cookie recipe used to be the Vanishing Oatmeal Cookie recipe from the Quaker oats canister. They are so good! But they're also made with a lot of the allergens we avoid (specifically dairy, eggs, and wheat).
This recipe was developed with those classic oatmeal cookies in mind but also with those of us managing food allergies in mind.
When I developed this recipe, I really wanted a cookie recipe with minimal specialty ingredients so Grandma could make it with (mostly) ingredients in her pantry.
This recipe calls for a few special ingredients but is purposely free of dairy-free margarine because it was hard to find at the time I first made this. Instead, I used regular cooking oil which works well.
The ingredients that are more specialty items (but easier to find now than when I first made this) include:
Flax "eggs" (flaxseed meal mixed with warm water)
Even though this is a cookie recipe, it has some nutrition value with oats (a whole grain), a little flax (omega-3 fatty acids), and if you use sunflower seeds, a little protein too! Hey, we'll take what we can get...right, moms?!
Oatmeal Applesauce Cookies
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cup gluten free oats
- 1/2 cup "safe" chocolate chips optional
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- To make a flax "egg", combine the flax seed meal and warm water in a small bowl and set aside for 3-5 minutes. In a mixing bowl, combine the "flax egg", brown sugar, and oil and beat until creamy. Next, add the applesauce, baking soda and cinnamon and mix to combine well. Add the flour gradually while mixing until it is fully incorporated into the dough. Mix in the oats, chocolate chips, and sunflower seeds (if using).
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack or paper towel to cool.