Lately, I've been on a mission to make nut free granola bars. Most of the bars that are free of our allergens have an advisory statement ("May contain peanuts").
The only nut free bars that I have come across without cross-contact with the rest of the top 8 allergens are made by Enjoy Life. We're big fans of all things Enjoy Life at our house and, no, I haven't been paid to write that! The only problem is, we have a hard time keeping enough of those bars in our house (my son could easily eat two in a sitting) so it's nice to be able to make a pan on my own.
Nutritious and Delicious
These nut free granola bars have a bit more protein than many of the "allergy friendly" granola bars out there. I used sunflower butter, sunflower seeds (also great sources of healthy fats!) and some rice protein powder.
The rolled oats and flax seed meal add some healthy carbohydrates for quick energy as well as some fiber. This is a snack that is free of the top 8 allergens and is nutritious, too!
Nut Free Granola Bars
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup oil canola, vegetable, grapeseed, etc
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup flax seed meal
- 2/3 cup sunflower butter
- 1/4 cup protein powder (I used rice protein powder) optional
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 3 cups rolled oats gluten free
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with safe cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, oil and molasses; mix well. Add the salt, vanilla, water, sunflower butter, protein powder and flax seed meal; mix well. Mix in the oats and sunflower seeds. Pour mixture into prepared baking pan and press firmly into the bottom of the pan. Tip: I find that hands that have a little water on them work well for pressing the mixture into the pan (no sticking!)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. When completely cooled, cut into squares and serve or keep in an airtight container (they'll keep for about a week - if there's any left!).