This quinoa and rice with sweet potatoes can be served as a side dish or even a main dish with a side of non-starchy vegetables.
Quinoa is a gluten free whole grain. In addition to being a good source of B vitamins, it is also a good source of fiber. With the combination of two whole grains - quinoa and brown rice - this dish has about 4 grams of fiber per serving.
Quinoa is a unique grain (actually a seed) in that it contains a complete protein. One cup of this dish contains about 8 grams of protein! For people avoiding meat, quinoa is an excellent grain to include in the diet. To read more about the health benefits of quinoa, click here.
Quinoa with Brown Rice and Sweet Potatoes
- "Safe" cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 small carrot finely chopped
- 3 stalks of celery finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa rinsed
- 3 cups "safe" low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray a medium sized casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery and sweet potato to the skillet and saute until tender. Remove from the heat and stir in the rice, quinoa, broth and sea salt to the vegetable mixture. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole; cover and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the liquid is gone.