These gluten free pork chops with gravy are the ultimate in comfort food! Boneless pork chops are pan seared and then smothered in a dairy and gluten free gravy with carrots, celery, and onions. This one pot meal is easy to make and you can have it on the table in less than 40 minutes!
This is a version of Southern smothered pork chops that happens to be one of my family's all-time favorite meals. It has a nice comfort-food vibe like a slow cooked Sunday dinner but without the time commitment.
The best part is this dish is free from the top 9 allergens so everyone can enjoy it but you'd never know it's allergy friendly.
- Pork chops - I use boneless chops for this dish because it's covered in gravy so it can be more difficult to cut around a bone. Also, it's easier to fit four boneless chops in the pan (I have even done six boneless chops at a time). If all you have is bone-in chops, they will work just fine for this dish.
- Onion - I like yellow onions for dishes like this because they sweeten as they cook and hold up nicely in the cooking process. I cut them into strips (like you might do for fajitas) for this dish.
- Garlic - I use minced from a jar. It's just so convenient - I always have it on hand for cooking.
- Carrots - If you don't have full sized carrots but happen to have baby carrots you can use them in this dish. I just slice them diagonally to get a larger slice. Smaller slices tend to break down and disappear in the gravy so the larger the better.
- All-purpose gluten free flour blend - I use Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 baking flour in almost any dish where I'm using flour. I like the versatility of it and am able to find it at a good price locally.
- Gluten free chicken or vegetable broth - I use Orrington Farms broth granules a lot of the time when making broth for recipes like this. It's gluten free and really easy to mix. I tend to use chicken broth but you can use vegetable or even beef broth for this dish.
Start by heating the olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Be sure to salt and pepper the pork chops on both sides and, when the oil is heated, add them to the pan. Cook them for about 4 minutes on each side.
When they're lightly browned on both sides, remove them from the pan and set them aside.
Add the chopped vegetables to the pan and cook while scraping the bits of pork from the bottom of the pan with a spoon or tongs. When the onion is translucent and the carrots and celery are tender (about 5-7 minutes), add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Now, add the flour to the vegetable mixture and stir to coat. Continue to stir for 1-2 minutes until the flour has soaked in the water from the vegetables.
When you've got the flour mostly incorporated, add the broth.
Hint: Scrape the bottom of the pan with a whisk when adding the broth. This way you get all of the bits of caramelized vegetable incorporated into the gravy.
Cook the vegetables in the broth until thickened slightly. Then, add the pork chops to the pan. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to low; let it simmer for about 10 minutes or until the pork chops are cooked through.
This dish goes beautifully with a scoop of fluffy mashed potatoes!
I would never have messed with mashed potatoes on a weeknight. That is, until I discovered that I could make them in my pressure cooker. They're so quick and easy this way!
When I don't have the time or energy to make mashed potatoes, I serve this alongside a baked potato. You could even serve it with rice or gluten free pasta.
If you're not cooking for a family of four, you can save the leftovers for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
And if you don't like leftovers, you can freeze individual portions to have later. It's really nice to have an allergy friendly frozen meal ready to go when there's not time to cook!
Gluten Free Pork Chops with Vegetable Gravy
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless top loin pork chops
- 1 medium onion sliced into thin strips/wedges
- 2 cups carrots (about 4 medium) peeled and cut into coins
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ cup all purpose gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 2 cups gluten free chicken broth or vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium high heat. Salt and pepper both sides of the pork chops and add to the preheated pan. Cook for 4 minutes on each side until lightly browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion, carrots, and celery to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent and carrots and celery are tender. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Sprinkle with the flour and stir to coat the vegetables. Continue to cook and stir for 1-2 minutes until the flour is incorporated into the vegetables.
- Add the broth and thyme leaves and stir well. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Return the pork chops to the pan and cover. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until the pork chops are cooked through. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with mashed potatoes (if desired).
Love this recipe?
Please leave a rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ and share your comments below!