These candy cane cookies are dairy, soy, egg, wheat/gluten, peanut, tree nut free and are a beautiful addition to any holiday cookie plate!
When I first made this recipe, I intended to make candy cane shaped cookies out of the dough but found it to be too tedious so I opted for the "checkerboard" cookie instead.
They still remind me of candy canes, though, because they are finished off with a sprinkling of sugar and candy cane bits. If you have extra candy cane/sugar mixture, don't throw it out! Put it in a airtight container and save it to add to coffee, tea or dairy free hot chocolate.
Following are a few ingredients you may use in this recipe:
Earth Balance Buttery Spread
Candy Cane Cookies
- 1 cup "safe" margarine or butter, softenend (such as Earth Balance)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon. Ener-G Foods Egg Replacer
- 2 tablespoons warm water mixed together
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups wheat-free all-purpose flour mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup crushed candy cane
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- In a mixing bowl, combine the margarine and sugar until creamy. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg replacer and 2 tablespoons warm water. Add this mixture and vanilla extract to the margarine and sugar mixture. Add flour to the margarine and sugar mixture. Remove half of the dough from the mixing bowl. Add the red food coloring to the other half and mix well. Refrigerate the dough until firm, about 1 hour.
- Divide the red dough and roll each piece into a log that is about 1" in diameter. Repeat with the white dough. You should have 2 strands of white dough and 2 strands of red dough. To make the checkerboard pattern, lay a red and white strand next to each other, then lay a white strand on top of the red and a red on top of the white next to it. Roll the strands to combine them into one. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Remove from the refrigerator and slice into cookies that are about 1/2" thick. Place cookies on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with the candy cane and sugar mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 6-8 minutes.