Food allergies shouldn't keep you from celebrating a special day with cake! This allergy free birthday cake is dairy, egg, wheat, soy, peanut, and tree nut-free and really quick and easy to make. Even better - you can find all of the ingredients needed to make them at the regular grocery store! Jump to the recipe
The recipe is just one of many versions of Wacky Cake. What's a wacky cake you ask? It's a type of cake that was created during the Great Depression. During that time, of course, money was scarce. Making a cake with eggs and butter was a bit too extravagant during those times. So, Wacky Cake was born!
The clever bakers responsible for Wacky Cake probably had no idea that the cake would be a go-to for those of us avoiding eggs and dairy.
Gluten-free flour was probably not used during those times but it turns out it works well in Wacky Cake. You can use any type of gluten-free flour - if you need a recipe to make your own, visit the wheat substitutes page.
Of course, you can make this allergy-free birthday cake on any number of occasions - it's not just for birthdays! When my kids were little, we always had cupcakes in the freezer for various occasions. If there was a last-minute birthday party invitation or school celebration, I just pulled out a cupcake, put some frosting and sprinkles on it, and sent them (child and cupcake) on their way!
Whether you're celebrating another year, a holiday, or just need a yummy treat, this birthday cake will fit the bill!
Allergy Free Birthday Cake
- 1-1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon vinegar any variety
- 5 tablespoons cooking oil any variety
- 1-1/4 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Add the vanilla extract, vinegar, canola oil and water. Mix well.
- For cake: pour batter into an ungreased square cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- For cupcakes: Pour batter into a muffin tin with liners. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from the pan immediately and place on a cooling rack.
- Frost the cupcakes or cake with a frosting of your choice.