What would sugar cookies be without sugar cookie frosting? That's kind of like asking what a birthday would be like without any cake - it can be done without but it's not nearly as fun - or tasty!
This is a standard powdered sugar based frosting that spreads well and, when you feel like getting really fancy, works well with icing bags and tips.
Sugar Cookie Frosting
- 4 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1/3 cup shortening like spectrum
- 4 tablespoons soy or rice milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In large bowl, combine the sugar and shortening until creamy. Mix in milk and vanilla until combined well.
- If desired, divide frosting into bowls and add your choice of food coloring for decorating.