Rocky Road Candy is a treat my mom always made around Christmas time. It was included on cookie plates that we brought to celebrations during the holiday season.
I really wanted my son to be able to have the cookies, candies, and other desserts that I enjoyed during the holidays as a child. This meant putting my arsenal of allergy friendly substitutes to good use!
Altering Ingredients, But Preserving the Enjoyment
The rocky road candy that I knew and loved in my pre-food allergy days included Peanut Butter Captain Crunch, peanuts, milk chocolate, and butter.
Once I discovered Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips, I realized I could make the same sort of thing without all of the allergens that we are avoiding!
I used Rice Chex and gluten free Rice Krispies instead of Captain Crunch which still gave this candy its crunch. I still used marshmallows (who doesn't love chocolate covered marshmallows?!) And, instead of peanut butter, I used sunflower butter to mix with the chocolate. I omitted the peanuts and didn't replace them with anything. But you could try pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds if they're safe for you.
Make this Rocky Road Candy Your Own
I like to use Rice Krispies (or a gluten free version of crispy rice cereal) and Rice Chex but you could use any type of unsweetened cereal. My husband, who can usually turn down sweets, couldn't keep his hands off of this stuff! Make a double batch and put it in food gift bags to give as a treat to your friends - they'll love it, too!
Allergy Friendly Rocky Road Candy
- 1 (10) ounce bag "safe" chocolate chips such as Enjoy Life
- 4 tablespoons sunflower butter
- 2 cups "safe" mini marshmallows
- 2 cups gluten free crispy rice cereal
- 2 cups Rice Chex
- Mix together the sunflower butter and chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds and stir. Continue to microwave in 20 second intervals and stir until the mixture is smooth. Add the cereals and marshmallows. Stir until the chocolate is evenly covering the cereal. Pour mixture out onto wax paper and spread out evenly. Allow to set for about an hour.