Looking for an easy dinner that your whole family will love and is free of the top 8 allergens? Try this gluten and dairy free Mexican lasagna! It's on my regular weeknight meal rotation because it's simple to make and my family loves it!
For me, the main dishes for weeknights need to fit the following criteria:
- Easy to prepare
- Takes 30-60 minutes (or less!) to prepare
- Ingredients I have on hand
- Everyone in my family likes it (we don't have a short-order cook!)
This dish fits all of those criteria! It's ready in an under an hour but I only really need to be doing something for 20 minutes. The rest of the time it's in the oven!
I use ground turkey but you can use ground beef or ground chicken if you prefer. You could even use leftover grilled chicken breast if you have it.
Time saving tip: When preparing another meal with ground turkey or beef, brown 2 pounds at one time and put half of it in the freezer. Then, all you have to do to make this is put it in the pan, heat it up, then add the other ingredients!
For the taco seasoning, you can use a packaged one that is safe for you. Or, try the homemade taco seasoning that we use for our tacos.
I keep my corn tortillas in the freezer because I don't go through them very quickly. Usually, I can just get a knife between a few of them to break them away from the rest of them. If not, I put them in the microwave on defrost for a minute or two and that usually does the trick.
I really, really like vegetables so I like to have a salad on the side of this dish. You can also top your Mexican Lasagna with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and black olives.
Sometimes, I like to put a dollop of dairy free sour cream on top, too!
Gluten free, Dairy Free Mexican Lasagna
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon gluten free taco seasoning
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 16 ounce jar tomato salsa we like mild
- 1 9 ounce bag frozen corn about 1-1/2 cups
- 6-8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup D
airy free cheese we like Daiya cheddar shreds
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Brown the ground turkey in a skillet until no longer pink. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the taco seasoning and water. Stir in the beans, salsa, and corn and cook over medium heat until bubbling.
- Spoon 1-1/2 cups of the turkey mixture into the bottom of an 8x8 inch baking dish. Top with 2 whole tortillas and one tortilla cut in half so that the whole pan is covered. Spoon another 1-1/2 cups of the turkey mixture on top and sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Cover with more tortillas and repeat again with the meat mixture and cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 375° F for 25-30 minutes. Uncover and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with a dollop of dairy free sour cream if desired.