This gluten and dairy free apple crisp is free of the top 8 allergens and uses minimal specialty ingredients. You can have a delicious dessert for guests - allergies or not - in less than an hour!
One of the first signs of fall is the apple orchards opening up for the season. In Minnesota, that is usually the last week in August.
A trip to the apple orchard is one of my favorite things to do in the fall. Even as my kids get older, we make at least one trip, pick way too many apples, and go home and make apple crisp. It's just what we do!
Apple crisp is really an allergy friendly dessert (as long as you're not allergic to baked apples!) You only need a couple of special ingredients to make this delicious dessert free of the top 8 allergens.
As far as allergy friendly ingredients go, there are just a few that you'll need to make this gluten and dairy free apple crisp.
- All-purpose gluten free flour - You can use any variety that you like for baked goods. I use Bob's Red Mill gluten free 1 to 1 baking flour. You will need a little bit to mix in with the apples (½ tablespoon). This helps to thicken up the juice from the apples. And you will also need some for the topping.
- Gluten free rolled oats - Oats do not contain wheat but are often contaminated with wheat during processing. Oats labeled gluten free are produced to prevent cross-contact with wheat.
- Dairy free margarine - This is used to make the topping. I use Earth Balance Buttery Spread. If you're not avoiding dairy, you could certainly use butter instead.
- Apples - Apples aren't really a specialty ingredient but they're obviously pretty important for this recipe! I used Paula Red apples because they are in season right now in Minnesota. They are a sweet and tart apple with a crisp texture. This is an ideal apple for an apple crisp. Granny Smith would also be a great option!
How to make apple crisp
This is such an easy dessert to make! The hardest part is the first step - peeling the apples - but if you have an apple peeler it makes the process so much faster. Unfortunately, mine broke so I had to peel them the old-fashioned way - with a paring knife.
Once your apples are peeled and sliced the rest of the process is a breeze!
Step 1: Mix the granulated sugar, flour and cinnamon in a bowl.
Step 2: Coat the apples in the sugar mixture.
Step 3: Pour the coated apples in a 8x8 inch baking dish.
Step 4: Make the topping. To do this, you combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a mixing bowl.
Step 5: Put the margarine in the bowl and cut it into the flour and oat mixture using a fork. This is easier if the margarine is in a few smaller pieces rather than a big lump. The mixture will start to look mealy. Keep working the margarine in until the flour and oat mixture sticks together but is crumbly.
Step 6: Pour the topping over the apples, covering evenly.
Step 7: Bake it.
Step 8: Eat! I would recommend serving this with allergy free ice cream. Yum!
More dessert recipes
Gluten and Dairy Free Apple Crisp
- 5 cups apples peeled, cored and evenly sliced
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tablespoon all-purpose gluten-free flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup rolled oats gluten free
- ½ cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup "safe" margarine, softened such as Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Place the apples in a large mixing bowl. Combine the sugar, ½ tablespoon flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Pour the sugar mixture over the apples and toss to coat. Pour into a 8x8 baking dish. Pour water over apples.
For the topping:
- Combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda in a mixing bowl. Add the margarine and, using a fork, cut into the oat mixture until mixture is mealy. Sprinkle topping evenly over the apples.
- Bake at 350° F for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly and topping is golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes. Serve warm with "safe" ice cream if desired.
Love this recipe?
Please leave a 5-star rating below and share your comments below!