As desserts go, fruit pizza is one that people generally don't feel too guilty about eating. After all, "fruit" is right there in the name of the dessert and nobody can deny that fruit is healthy!
Well, eating fruit pizza is kind of like eating apple pie - there may be healthier ways to get a serving of fruit but it sure does taste good! With a sugar cookie crust, cream cheese filling and, of course, luscious fruit to top it off, this dessert is a real treat.
Don't be afraid to try fruits other than what is listed in the recipe. When in season, I would include blueberries and raspberries. Be creative and have fun!
Some ingredients you will need:
- 1 recipe sugar cookie dough
- 1 (8) ounce package cream cheese I use Tofutti soy cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups strawberries sliced
- 2 cups fresh or canned pineapple cut into thin
- 4 kiwi fruit sliced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Prepare sugar cookie dough. Grease a cookie sheet. Press prepared cookie dough onto cookie sheet. Be sure to get an even layer over the entire pan (crust will be thin). Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Take out when firm but not browning on the edges. Cool completely.
- For filling: With a mixer, cream together the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Spread evenly over sugar cookie crust.
- Arrange fruit on top of the cream cheese filling. Use a generous amount of fruit making sure to cover all of the cream cheese layer. Be creative and make any pattern you like - have fun!
- For glaze: In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add pineapple juice and lemon juice and stir until mixture is smooth. Cook on medium high heat and bring to a boil. Stir constantly until thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Drizzle glaze over the fruit. Refrigerate until cooled completely.