This gluten free sausage is made with ground turkey, a lean protein option that makes a delicious breakfast side that everyone will love!
I started making this gluten free sausage when I realized my kids were eating a lot of cereal for breakfast and not much else.
Allergies to certain foods like dairy, soy, and eggs can make it especially difficult to find breakfast fare that provides adequate protein.
These turkey sausage patties are an excellent source of protein and are low in saturated fat. Plus, making them from scratch means being able to leave out ingredients that ready-made sausages often have like preservatives and sodium.
And, most importantly, my kids approved! 🙂
Prep and freeze extras
While these sausages do take some time and effort to make, they can be frozen and reheated individually for a very quick and easy breakfast. I will sometimes make a double batch so I have even more of them ready to go in the freezer.
To freeze them, place a layer inside a gallon-sized resealable bag, then place a layer of parchment paper over them and place the remaining sausages on top. This way, you won't have a big block of frozen sausages to pry apart each time you want a serving or two.
A balanced breakfast helps to start the day off right! I like to serve this turkey breakfast sausage with allergy-friendly pancakes, waffles, or banana bread along with some fresh fruit.
Sometimes my kids just want to have a bowl of cereal and milk which doesn't have a lot of protein. Adding a sausage or two is a way to get more protein and my kids are usually happy to oblige.
Gluten Free Sausage
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- "Safe" cooking spray
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a skillet. Add the onion and garlic and saute until the onion is tender. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Combine the turkey, fennel seed, rubbed sage, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes in a medium bowl. Add the cooled onion and garlic mixture. Using your hands, mix the ingredients together. Measure ¼ cup of the turkey mixture and form into a ¼-1/2" patty. Continue until all of the turkey mixture has been formed into patties.
- Preheat a large skillet coated with cooking spray to medium high. Working in batches, add the patties and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 170 degrees. Remove from the skillet and serve or cool and, in a freezer safe container, freeze for later use. Makes 15 patties.
Note: To reheat, microwave on high for one minute per patty.
Love this recipe?
Please leave a rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ and share your comments below!
Stay in touch on social media! You can find me @ Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I love getting your feedback so please tag me if you try a recipe!