This beef stroganoff recipe has been shared by Melisa Priem, author of 8 Degrees of Ingredients. It is free of the most common allergens including dairy, egg, wheat/gluten, soy, fish, shellfish, peanuts, and tree nuts.
Beef stroganoff typically has allergen-filled ingredients like sour cream (dairy), cream of mushroom soup (dairy and wheat), and wheat flour. In addition, people often serve this dish over egg noodles.
In this version of beef stroganoff, Melisa uses allergy-friendly substitutes but the end result is still delicious! First, she uses beef broth thickened with cornstarch rather than using a can of cream soup for the sauce. And Dijon mustard gives the dish the tangy flavor that sour cream adds to the traditional recipe.
If you’re avoiding corn, you could substitute tapioca starch for the cornstarch in this recipe.
As suggested in 8 Degrees of Ingredients, we serve this over quinoa and corn pasta. The buttery flavor of the pasta complements this dish well. You could also serve it over plain corn pasta, brown rice pasta, or rice.
This is a great dinner to make on a night that you don’t have much time to cook. It’s quick and easy to make and doesn’t require a lot of pots and pans making clean-up quick, too!
More main dish recipes
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 pound beef tenderloin tips
- ½ medium red onion chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1-½ cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons rice milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Heat grapeseed oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef tips and red onion. Saute until meat is evenly browned, 3 to 4 minutes total. The meat should remain pink in the center.
- Add mushrooms and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Whisk the beef broth, cornstarch, and salt together and add to the beef. Continue simmering until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice milk and mustard. Stir and remove from heat. Spoon over quinoa noodles or rice.
Love this recipe?
Please leave a rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ and share your comments below!