This recipe for Baked Stuffed Mushrooms, from the cookbook 8 Degrees of Ingredients by Melisa K. Priem, would be an excellent appetizer choice for your next dinner party. The best part is that everyone will love them, (whether they have food allergies or not)!
While this recipe does call for bread crumbs, those of you avoiding wheat/gluten can still enjoy it. You can find wheat/gluten free varieties at specialty food stores. If you're not able to find gluten/wheat free breadcrumbs, you can make your own.
Just take two or three slices of your favorite slices of gluten/wheat free bread that is dry. Put it in your food processor and pulse until you have a crumb consistency. These mushrooms are so good that you might want to just make a double batch!
Baked Stuffed Mushrooms
- 24 large stuffing mushrooms stems removed and reserved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 20 ounces ground Italian sausage
- 1/2 medium white onion grated
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using your hands, lightly rub mushroom caps with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Place oiled caps in a single layer in a baking dish.
- Chop about 1/2 of the reserved mushroom stems and set aside. Toss remaining stems or reserve for another use.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oilk in a large saute pan. Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Add suasage and cook until browned and no longer pink.
- Add pepper, onion, and chopped mushroom stems. Continue to cook until vegetables soften, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in bread crumbs, parsley and salt until thoroughly combined.
- Fill mushroom caps with stuffing using a small scoop or large spoon. Bake in middle of oven for 15 minutes, or until heated through. Serve warm.