This allergy free brownie biscotti is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, nut free and is a delicious accompaniment to a hot cup of coffee or tea. Package it up in a seasonal tin or cellophane bag and gift it to someone you love! Jump to Recipe
The first biscotti recipe I ever made was from Cooking Light magazine. It became a favorite! Sure, these cookies are twice-baked so they take a little more work than your average cookie. But they are totally worth it!
When looking through my recipe book one day, I found the torn out recipe and wondered if it could be made without the common allergens.
Traditional biscotti has eggs, butter, and of course, wheat flour. To make this allergy free brownie biscotti, I tried it with the allergy free substitutes that I had available .
An all-purpose gluten free flour worked just as well as regular flour. While dairy and soy free margarine doesn't have the same flavor as real butter, I couldn't tell the difference in this recipe. Using a "flax egg" (flaxseed meal mixed with water) worked well as an egg substitute. And Enjoy Life chocolate chips were a great allergy free addition.
The only thing I did not find a substitute for was the egg wash on the outside to give it a shiny appearance. Even so, I think the end result still looks and tastes delicious!
Serve this brownie biscotti with a hot cup of coffee or tea. Yum!
Allergy Free Brownie Biscotti
- 1/3 cup "safe" margarine or coconut oil
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 6 tablespoons warm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups wheat free all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips such as Enjoy Life
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a baking sheet with "safe" margarine or coconut oil. Mix the flax seed meal and hot water together. Let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Mix together the canola oil or "safe" margarine with the sugar. Scrape the sides of the bowl to be sure all of the sugar is incorporated into the oil. Mix in the flax seed/water mixture and the vanilla. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, xanthan gum, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda. Gradually stir into the sugar mixture until well blended. Stir in the chocolate chips. The dough will be stiff and you might have to knead in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Divide the dough in half. Shape each half into a loaf that is approximately 9 inches long, 2 inches wide and 1 inch thick. Place onto the baking sheet a few inches apart.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in a preheated oven. Cool on the baking sheet for about 15 minutes. Using a serrated knife, make diagonal slices that are about 1 inch wide. Place the slices on their sides on the baking sheet and bake for another 10 minutes on each side. Cool completely.