This dairy free chicken tetrazzini recipe was one of the first recipes that I adapted after learning of my son’s multiple food allergies.
The traditional recipe is a delicious blend of pasta, chicken and a whipping cream based cream sauce. If that isn't enough, the classic dish is topped off with a healthy dose of parmesan cheese.
To a person with a dairy allergy, the words "cream" and "cheese" are cringe-worthy.
When I came across this recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, I wondered if it would be even worth attempting to alter a recipe calling for so many dairy ingredients.
It turns out with a few substitutions a similar, but (slightly) healthier, dish is born.
The pasta in this dish should be cooked al dente to prevent it from being too mushy after being baked in the oven. We like spaghetti in our tetrazzini but you can whatever type of gluten free pasta you like (fusilli, penne or even elbow pasta would work).
If you have fresh mushrooms on hand – even better! Just cook the mushrooms when cooking the chicken until they are softened.
If you have leftover cooked turkey breast on hand it can be substituted for the chicken. This is an excellent recipe to make with your leftover turkey from Thanksgiving dinner!
1 (8 oz) package brown rice spaghetti
1/4 cup "safe" margarine or olive oil
1/4 cup all-purpose wheat-free flour mix
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup gluten free chicken broth
1 cup rice or soy milk
2 tablespoons cooking sherry
1 small can mushrooms
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
2) Cook brown rice spaghetti according to package instructions, drain and set aside.
3) In a large saucepan, melt the margarine or olive oil over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Stir until smooth. Remove from the heat and add milk and broth while whisking mixture. Return to heat and bring to a bubble. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, or until thickened. Add sherry and stir.
4) In baking dish, combine cooked spaghetti, chicken, mushrooms and sauce.
5) Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Makes 4 servings